Monday, March 7, 2016


March 7, 2016



I'd like to start off by stating why I've come to love the mission so much.



Before my mission I had looked forward to it with a hope to learn and to progress. I saw it as yet another learning experience in my life. I thought I would be able to really look inward and re-invent myself. That after two years I would come back, and be a completely new and better person thanks to all that I had learned; however, upon entering I quickly learned that it was kind of hard to focus on me..... I found that when I focused on what I needed to do and how I could improve. I often felt completely crushed when I realized how much I really would have to change to become the person I wanted to be. It seemed so far out of reach that I contemplated settling on where I was. I saw how well others were doing, and with my competitive mindset, well, that just meant I wasn't doing as well as them.



But then I stopped focusing so much on my problems. I didn't focus on my defects, my flaws....but I didn't focus on my strengths either.....I just stopped focusing on me.



President Hinkley's motto: "Forget yourself and go to work", Became personally meaningful. Matthew 16:25 spoke to me with such force that I couldn't do anything but re-read it again and again.



"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it"



It doesn't really matter if your life is good or bad.......In comparison to the life plan God's got laid out for us.....our plans really aren't that great....



And as I started to realize that more and more.....I stopped worrying about what I was doing wrong......instead I just focused on how I could help others.... And what I learned has been phrased perfectly by Tagore



"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy."



I have absolutely loved my mission, because I have learned firsthand that the best way we can improve, the fastest way we can change, and the most fulfilling thing we can do. Is serve.



That being said: This has been a pretty excellent week!



Marcos got baptized this Saturday!!!! It's been great being able to teach him and share the gospel with him!!!! His Mom will also be getting baptized this month!!! I look forward to teaching them for the months to follow.



....then the not so fortunate news.



Zoraida and her kids have postponed their baptisms......Her ex-husband talked her out of it.....and it looks like we won't be meeting up with her for a few weeks or so......but oh well. We'll just keep praying for her!



We've had the opportunity to do a lot more interchanges this week!!! I got to know some of the Elders in the zone better! But most importantly I got to serve them.



So that's been fun!!!.....



And yesterday a miracle happened.



We were pretty tired, it was 7:30 and it was still pretty hot out. We had to make some calls to the zone and so we sat on the curb.....I suppose we looked pretty pathetic, because not long after we hear



"Hey, you guys want something to drink"?



We're a little confused (because he's not a member and usually only members say that).



We accept and He and his wife let us in....They give us some ham sandwiches and we start talking. They've got a daughter in Utah (to express the rarity of that I think it's worth noting He was the ONLY person in my ENTIRE mission to have family in Utah who aren't members). He said all the people there were trying to convert her. We laugh, we share some of our beliefs, we pray, they invite us back for dinner Saturday.



I'm probably really downplaying it. But it's probably one of the most awesome things that's happened in this sector!!!



So....in short.



It was a pretty good week!!! We'll be hearing from Elder Lynn G Robbins this week!!! So that should be cool!!!! I'm doing great and I love you guys!!!!!



-Elder Winn

Picture #1 and #2  Marco's Baptism
#3                          The Zone
#4                          Selfie (mom requested)
#5                          Spike-a-pillars
#6                          Peruvian bottle caps







No comments:

Post a Comment